Laboratory of Patrick Keeling
Biodiversity Research Centre & Department of Botany
University of British Columbia, Faculty of Science
3529-6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
BSc. & MSc. (Biology & Parasitology) University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic (2007-2012)
PhD (Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics) Institute of Parasitology, Czech Academy of Sciences (2012-2017), with John McCutcheon
Erasmus PhD Fellowship University of Liverpool, UK (2012-2013), with Alistair C. Darby
Fulbright PhD Fellowship University of Montana, USA (2014-2015), with John P. McCutcheon
EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship University of British Columbia, Canada (2017-2020), with Patrick J. Keeling
6. George EE, Husnik F, Tashyreva D, Prokopchuk G, Horák A, Kwong WK, Lukeš J, and Keeling PJ: Highly reduced genomes of protist endosymbionts show evolutionary convergence. bioRxiv 2019, doi: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/719211v1.
5. Husnik F & Keeling PJ: The fate of obligate endosymbionts: reduction, integration, or extinction. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 2019, 58-59: 1-8.
4. Boscaro V, Husnik F, Vannini C, Keeling PJ. Symbionts of the ciliate Euplotes: diversity, patterns and potential as models for bacteria–eukaryote endosymbioses. Proc. R. Soc. B 2019, 286: 20190693.
3. Husnik F & McCutcheon JP: Functional horizontal gene transfer from bacteria to eukaryotes. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2018, 16 (2): 67.
2. Husnik F & McCutcheon JP: Repeated replacement of an intrabacterial symbiont in the tripartite nested mealybug symbiosis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2016, 113(3): E5416-5424.
1. Husnik F, Nikoh N, Koga R, Ross L, Duncan RP, Fujie M, Tanaka M, Satoh N, Bachtrog D, Wilson ACC, von Dohlen CD, Fukatsu T, McCutcheon JP: Horizontal gene transfer from diverse bacteria to an insect genome enables a tripartite nested mealybug symbiosis. Cell 2013, 153(7): 1567-1578.
Honors and Awards
Postdoctoral Fellow Travel Award, University of British Columbia (2019)
EMBO long-term postdoctoral fellowship (2017-2019)
Dean's award for PhD thesis (2017)
30 Under 30, Forbes Czech Republic (2015)
Fulbright visiting PhD student fellowship (2014-2015)
PhD research grant, University of South Bohemia (2014-2015)
Erasmus visiting PhD student fellowship (2012-2013)
Dean's award for MSc. thesis (2012)
John P. McCutcheon (PhD advisor), University of Montana, Missoula, USA
Miroslav Obornik (PhD committee chair), Czech Academy of Sciences, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Patrick J. Keeling (Postdoc advisor), University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada